The 77th Regular Session of the Nevada Legislature
began on February 4, 2013
for its 120 day session that will commence on June 3, 2013
The following is a list of bills that the NVMA is tracking along with a link to the full language of the bill:
- AB 20- AN ACT relating to agriculture; deleting provisions which authorize the Director of the State Department of Agriculture to remove certain persons from office with the approval of the State Board of Agriculture; revising the classification and qualifications of certain persons appointed by the Director; expanding the purposes for which expenditures from the Livestock Inspection Account and for the Program for the Control of Pests and Plant Diseases may be made; requiring an inspector of the Department to notify an agricultural enforcement officer of certain findings made by the inspector concerning the actual legal owner of an animal; revising the circumstances under which a person may possess the carcass of a bovine animal; revising provisions governing certain farm products other than livestock, livestock products or poultry; revising the circumstances under which a person must obtain a license to engage in pest control; repealing provisions governing the Agricultural Loan Mediation Program, slaughtering cattle without a formal inspection, and licenses to engage in activities concerning the control of wood-destroying pests or organisms; and providing other matters properly relating thereto.
- AB 72 - (Sponsored by Assemblywoman Carlton) - AN ACT relating to the Nevada State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners; increasing the membership of the Board from seven members to eight members by adding a veterinary technician; increasing from four to five the number of members needed to call a meeting of the Board and to constitute a quorum; and providing other matters properly relating thereto.
- AB 110 - (Sponsored by Assemblyman Ohrenschall) - AN ACT relating to crimes; revising provisions concerning the criteria and procedures for determining whether a dog is dangerous or vicious; providing that a dog may not be determined to be dangerous or vicious based solely on its breed; and providing other matters properly relating thereto.
- SB 72 - (Sponsored by Senator Manendo) - AN ACT relating to cruelty to animals; prohibiting a person from engaging in horse tripping or steer tailing for sport, entertainment, competition or practice; prohibiting a person from knowingly organizing, sponsoring, promoting, overseeing or receiving admission money for a horse tripping or steer tailing event; prohibiting a person from using a cattle prod on the face of an animal; providing a penalty; and providing other matters properly relating thereto.
- SB 73 - (Sponsored by Senator Manendo) - AN ACT relating to animals; deleting certain provisions which make a report of an act of cruelty against an animal confidential; revising the prohibition against willfully releasing data or information concerning the report so that the prohibition only applies to data or information concerning the identity of the person who makes the report; and providing other matters properly relating
- SB 83 - (Sponsored by Senate Committee on Natural Resources) - AN ACT relating to cruelty to animals; increasing the penalties for certain offenses related to the use of an animal or a bird for baiting or fighting; prohibiting a person from manufacturing, owning or possessing a gaff, spur or other sharp implement designed for attachment to a cock or other bird with the intent that it be used in fighting another cock or other bird under certain circumstances; providing penalties; and providing other matters properly relating thereto.
- SJR 1 - (Sponsored by Senator Manendo) - Expresses support for wild horses and burros in Nevada.
The following is a list of Bill Draft Requests (BDR) that the NVMA is waiting to see language on:
- BDR 54-101 - (Sponsored by Assemblyman Atkinson) - Establishes provisions governing certain acts of pharmacists.
- BDR 129 - (Sponsored by Assemblyman Hardy) - Revises provisions governing the inspection of food as it moves from the farm to dining tables.
- BDR 161 - (Sponsored by Senator Roberson) - Makes various changes concerning the regulation of exotic animals.
- BDR 243 (Sponsored by Assemblyman Goicoechea) - Limits civil liability of certain persons for injuries or death resulting from certain equine activities.
- BDR 249 - (Sponsored by Assemblyman Goicoechea) - Revises provisions governing livestock.
- BDR 450 - (Sponsored by Senator Parks) - Revises provisions relating to trapping of wild animals.
- BDR 531 - (Sponsored by Assemblyman Grady) - Revises provisions governing estrays and feral livestock.
- BDR 589 - (Sponsored by Senator Settelmeyer) - Makes various changes relating to wildlife.
- BDR 747 - (Sponsored by Assembly Committee on Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Mining) - Revises provisions governing animals.
If you would like to submit
a comment and/or concern
on any of the bills being tracked
by the NVMA, please send your comments to: